Thursday, December 1, 2011

Top 20 albums 2011 #20-16

2011 has been a big year in music, particulary for me and my obsession with it. This was the first year I really dedicated a good amount of my time to seeking out and discovering new music as well as just keeping up to date on current releases from new and old artists. I actually got really into it towards the latter part of 2010 but made it an official obsession this year. My itunes library shows that I currently have 218 albums that were released in 2011 alone, which I've listened to all at least once. Many I have only listened to once due to time and most likely the album didn't strike an initial chord with me on the first go around. So this list is albums that were released in 2011, although I have discovered and aquired 100's of others previously released. This was not an easy task for me putting together the top 20 out of +/-218 albums. Some were easy to dismiss, others were a coin toss. I took a few considerations into account, 1 being how initially awesome the music was, how often I revisited the album, and the overall impression the artist/album left with me. So this post will start the countdown beginning at #20

#20: Thrice - Major/Minor

Thrice is a band that has been around for quite a while and I personally has never struck a chord with me until this year. The only other album I had before this year was probably their most controversial or should I say their most experimental album which was The Alchemy Index from back in 2008. I only really had listened to a partial album and it was a little weird. Come to find out they have a whole catalogue of great music that I was unaware of and completely unique in each one. They are kind of an alternative rock/punk sound with maybe could be compared to a heavy Radiohead of sorts which sounds appealing and really is. Probably one of the qualities I dig most about Thrice is the singers voice. He's got such a cool soothing, yet raspy/gravelly sound to it. Their newest album Major/Minor is a pleasant listen and has elements of several of their previous albums including my new favorite of theirs, which is their "Beggars" album. THe number 20 slot could have been swapped for a number of albums but I had to start somewhere and felt Thrices Major/Minor deserved a spot in the top 20.

Standout track: Thrice - 'Promises'


#19: Across Tundras - Sage


Across Tundras is a heavy metal/psycodelic/folksy/Americana ish album. Take a look at the album cover and if you know me you will know that it kind of portrays the scenery of the old west/tribal/spiritualality of the setting I have grown up in. I discovered this band through an online website decoymusic.com which featured a blog from one of their writers who sums up this album with one sentence, "Sage luxuriates in its dusty, endless roads Americana, a sand-blasted yet restless trip through Southwestern afternoons and breadbasket nights." I like to listen to this album when I'm cruising the high desert backroads with the windows rolled down, sagebrush brushing up against the truck not a care in the world but how to evade the Indian spirits watching me in the distance. What I like about this album in particular are the intermittant guitar licks that lurk within each song. It has some very heavy, yet folk like tinges to it. Very unique artist and album. This is their strongest album I have downloaded. You can pick-up a slew of their music on their bandcamp website for free at: http://acrosstundras.bandcamp.com/

Standout track: Across Tundras - 'In the Name of River Grand'


#18 Long Distance Calling - Long Distance Calling


Long Distance Calling are a primarily instrumental outfit that use their heavy guitar skills to craft some amazing progressive oriented rock. If you dig progressive metal or guitar based grooves this is a band to check out. One track on the album actually contains vocals brought to us by the one and only John Bush of Armoured Saint and Anthrax fame. The chorus to this track gave me the chills each and every listen, which for me, is a strong indicator of good music. Take a listen and check this band out.
Long Distance Calling - 'Middleville'


#17 Nick 13 - Nick 13

Nick 13 is comprised of well, Nick 13 lead singer of the classic rockabilly punk band Tiger Army. Although I was never a huge Tiger Army fan, I am a big fan of this solo project. Nick 13 embraces their punk rock roots with influences such as the great Johnny Cash. I saw them on a flier that they were coming to Reno for a show at a local dive bar venue, The Alley and went and checked out the music and was instantly impressed. There is not a bad song on the album and it has been played quite a bit by me this year. Seeing him live dressed in a black suit was pretty impressive. His voice is one that would make any girl swoon and sounds just as good live as it does on his debut self titled album. Check him out if he comes to your town. It's got laid back, somber, punky vibe of the like of Social Distortion or particularly Mike Ness's solo stuff that is more country oriented punk rock.

Standout Track: Nick 13 - "Gambler's Life"


#16 Moving Mountains - Waves

This album was a grower for me. It's definitely a hard album to pin down to style and comparisons but if I had to compare it would be somewhat similar to Thrice which hit my #20 slot. Although at first this didn't strike me as great, the more it popped up on my ipod the more and more I fell in love with it. You may have never heard of these guys but give it a spin and you won't be disappointed.

Standout Track: Moving Mountains - "Where Two Bodies Lie"


#15-11 up next. I'm pretty sure I got this list nailed down but there is still a few weeks left in the year but doubtful that any new releases will top the ones I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment