Thursday, December 1, 2011

Top 20 2011 #15-11

Got antsy and slow at work so I decided to continue my top 20 countdown. Too bad I didn't have famous singers and TV personalities to comment and tease the bands coming up after the commercial break like a VH1 countdown. Only this one would't end in Beatles being #1. Anyways kicking things off at #15:

#15: Black Tusk - Set the Dial

Black Tusk are a doom metal/sludge band which may sound pretty intimidating to those of you who aren't familiar with this genre of music. Honestly, it is exactly as it sounds sludgy, thick, groovy, and awesome. Its really one of my favorite styles of music, don't ask me how I became so attached to it I just did. Other bands to compare include Red Fang, Kylesa, Black Cobra, Bison B.C., etc... If you've heard of and like any of these bands consider yourself pretty awesome and welcome into my world. I may not invite you in the house, but you can hang with the tunes I listen to on a regular basis. This album all in all sounds pretty much like the rest of their albums which is a good thing and it resonated with me somehow, probably the fact that it has a little more pop to it with more catchy moments and not so doomy and gloomy as some of their others.

Standout track: 'Carved in Stone'



#14: Dead And Divine - Antimacy

Antimacy is pummeling from start to finish. Metalcore at its finest. The relentless breakdown and riffage combined with the on and off screams and melodies of the singing put this album in the top 20 no question. If you are into hardcore metal as I am, you will be floored by this album. The only regret I have is not going to see them when they came through Reno this year, as a ton of aweseme bands did. I must say more top knotch heavy metal bands have came through Reno this year that I can remember and for the most part tickets were like $5-$15 and the crowds were minimal. This was one show I wish I would have caught. One thing I must also say before you attempt to listen to this and most hardcore music, is you have to let the songs develop and not be turned away at first listen. People miss out on the beauty of this music either because they are turned off by the vocals or they don't give the songs time to give the desired effect. Most are layered to where you cannot really appreciate it without hearing the whole thing.

Standout track: 'Grim Love'


#13:Drive-By Truckers - Go-Go Boots

Drive-By Truckers have made their way to the top of my all time favorite artists if you haven't noticed by the praise I give them over facebook, or if you've ever came over to my house and heard what was playing over the speakers. Their latest record Go-Go Boots is pretty much a masterpiece. I think it is their most diverse and creative album to date with a couple songs that make it into my top ten Trucker's songs of all time. That is saying a lot. If you have never took the time to listen to the Drive-By Truckers you are doing yourself a diservice. They are this generations version of the Rolling Stones. The band members all play instruments, all write and sing their own individual songs, and all talented enough to make it big time as solo artists. You essentially have three or four bands crammed into one band which works perfectly. Go-Go Boots has some good tunes. If you've seen them on any of the late night talk show promoting this album this year you may have heard their single, "Everybody Needs Love" which is an Eddie Hinton cover song. A great of song as it is, it is one of my least favorite on the album.

Standout Track: 'Used to be a Cop'



#12: The House of Capricorn - In the Devil's Days

I recently found out about this band again through an online music/movie review website I've become obsessed with decoymusic.com. The House of Capricorn is a post-metal/doom/stoner rock style band from New Zealand, I believe, and they churn out some wicked tracks on this album. I'd say its a good combination of a band called Kvelertak and Trap Them, which most of you probably won't know about but I don't care. I'll probably read this blog more than you anyways, so that's for my own reference. If you have heard of those bands you will hear it in the music. This album has been on repeat since I purchased it a couple weeks ago and is undeniably my kind of music.

Standout Track: 'Coffins and Cloven Hooves'


#11: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Having never been a very big fan of Foo Fighters since their debut back in my college days hearing their classic songs plastered on 104.5 Reno's Rock Station, hearing talk of the new album suprisingly caught my interest. Reviews were coming in talking about how good the album is and how it is more straight up rock and roll and not what they have been churning out since their early classics as mentioned above and that is exactly what it is. It's straight up rock and roll not none of this alternative poppy rock like the last few album they released which I actually dont own. I compare this to last years "The Damned Things" album. Check it out if you haven't done so already. Anyways, it has mass audience appeal, which normally turns me away but the mass appeal is undeniable and if you're a fan of rock music you will have a hard time finding anything not to like about this album. Now if you are a straight up hardcore death metal enthusiast I'm sure you will pass this off as another commercial radio rock album. But for those that have an open mind about music and appreciate all genres this is a solid album. I don't really have a favorite song on the album but a standout track could be:

'White Limo'

No comments:

Post a Comment