Sunday, December 4, 2011

Local Music Scene

So I thought I'd go ahead and talk a little about the local music scene hear in Reno, before I get on with the last installment of my top 20 albums of 2011. Last night was yet another superb outing at The Alley in Sparks, NV. 5 bands for $5 is a typical set up at this joint. I have only become aware of the talent that exists in the Reno Hard Rock scene as of earlier this year and the bands I have seen, have for the most part, all been very good. Last night's show consisted of 4 local bands and 1 Bay area band, which is sort of local.

The show kicked off with 12 Gauge Facelift, which hammered the stage with their heavy face ripping guitar assault and mind numbing vocal attack. It was my first listen to this band which I heard was pretty good and it was confirmed upon seeing them.

Next up was one of my personal favorites, which I've seen many times, The Swamp Donkey. These guys have a relentless attack to heavy, down and dirty riffage accompanied by the grooving, stonery vocals of Mark Moots, local tattoo artist, singer of The Swamp Donkey and former band 'December'. Obvious influences from these guys include, Kyuss and Black Sabbath. I thoroughly enjoy the Swamp Donkey set list and am anxiously awaiting their new album, which is expected out early next year. Mark has mentioned to me his friendship with Dallas Taylor, ex-singer of band Underoath and current singer of Maylene & the Son's of Disaster (another favorite of mine), and hinted of a potential guest appearance on their upcoming album. Nothing bad could come of that.
Heres a track I filmed with my iphone from a recent show at the knitting factory audio quality is not that good but you can get the jist of the sound:


The next band was Envirusment, which has been a local favorite for some time and recently re-united from a few years of being broke up. Singer Steven Morris leads the stage with his King Diamond esque wales backed by the heavy guitar attack of the band. It doesn't get much more metal than this band. Steven is involved with 3 different local bands including Demension 13, and his latest band Kut-Pile, which I haven't heard yet, but have heard only good things. Envirusment shook the house down last night and I quite enjoyed the show. I don't have any music on my itunes of these guys but they are worth checking out for sure. Obvious influences include, King Diamond, Death Angel, Exodus, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

The next band up was Spiralarms, whom before the show started was promised to blow the doors off the joint and a band to not miss. The band includes former member of Systematic-Tim Narducci and former and current member of the thrash band Forbidden-Craig Locicero. These guys have the look, the sound, and the attitude it takes to go far in the music world. Their set indeed blew the doors open with their groovy, stone-henged melodic rock. Luckily after the singer Tim announced they had one CD left for sale, my brother lucked out and got a hold of it at the end of their set, which I have yet to burn to my computer. These guys tore it up and made the whole night worthwhile.
Take a listen to this shit:


The show concluded with Reno locals Knightfall, who were very impressive as well. I am in kind of a hurry to get this typed up and don't have a whole lot to say about Knightfall other than, they were badass. The lead guitarist and back-up vocalist was pretty much the shit. They know how to rock the fuck out. All in all, Reno has an impressive local music scene and its unfortunate that they don't get more local support. Almost every show I've been to has been quite depressing as far as the turnout for the bands. The music rocks, but the bands don't quite get the respect they deserve. I will continue to support the local scene as much as I can and encourage others to get out and catch some shows, if for anything else, just to get off the couch.

I would also like to take the time to thank my wife Amanda for putting up with me leaving her alone all the time to go to these shows and for putting up with the loud music I always play while in the truck. She has no idea, how much I appreciate her blessings for me to continue to following my latest obsession, what is music. I love you babe! She probably won't read this, but figured I'd throw it out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment