Monday, January 2, 2012

End of the year, discovery of the year!

So I've already posted my top albums of the year as well as honorable mentions. It wasn't until merely days after I posted the honorable mentions that there were a ton of albums that I totally forgot about and felt a little uneasy that they didn't appear on the list. But the list was published and there is no turning back. Now that the year has officially passed, and since I posted my Top Albums lists, I have read a slough of other peoples end of the year lists in which, surprisingly, each list was very unique. There wasn't a whole lot of overlap from list to list, which means that there is either a shit load of good album out this year, or everybody is different and likes different shit. I tend to think that this year produced a shit load of good albums. I myself was very impressed to say the least.

One album/artist in particular really struck a chord with me, which I discovered from a friends end of the year top 10 list on Facebook. Cobra Khan - Adversities not only rocked my socks off, it became one of my favorite albums of the year as of right now. I know several albums have done that to me throughout the year and after time they fizzle out and a new album came along and stole the thunder. However, after backtracking Cobra Khan and downloading everything they have ever done I am completely blown away with their sound, style and overall awesomeness factor. These guys combine everything I love about heavy rock music and mold it together to produce a sound that is hard to resist. Combining elements of classic thrash metal, modern hardcore, face melting sludge metal, and groovy stoner rock fuzz, Cobra Khan's relentless discography is crack cocaine to my addict ears. I would say starting with their first full release, Helgorithms (2008) Cobra Khan sounded like Kyuss on steroids. There are several cuts off this album on youtube that were actually produced music videos and many of you may have already seen me post links to on facebook recently. Here is a cut that combined with the video is sure to please some. The track is called Liquid Separation: Take a look and listen to the sound which is unrivaled by most artists out there. I love it.



I found the video to be quite amusing and interesting at the same time. I myself, enjoy the pleasures of gourmet food and this video pretty much indulges in a banquet of it while creepily maintaining the vision the music portrays.

Helgorithms initially won my heart over the new album Adversities after I viewed the 4 or 5 videos on youtube and realized the power of the lead singers voice. However, the new album, Adversities, takes the game to another level. Adversities incorporates more of the keyboard into the mix, which actually Helgorithms did too, and is able to produce a homogeneous heavy rock vibe that works. I always like to describe music to people by comparing the sound to other artists with similar sound. I would say Adversities and Cobra Khan, as a whole, is hybrid mixture of Soilwork meets Kyuss, and Alice in Chains meets Machine Head. Just by that reference alone one would assume these guys are fucking insanely bad ass. And one would be correct on that assumption. While I write this I am uploading the entire disc to youtube from their latest album Adversities and will include a link here in a minute (since there wasn't much of it up there). I encourage all of you who are into any of the music I post about, or any of the bands in comparison to check out Cobra Khan.

Maybe I'm a little awestruck at this time since I just discovered them, but I think there is truly something about this band that any music enthusiast would agree is not only unique but masterful. And I trust the source from whom this band was noticed from. His list contained 3 out of my top tens in his top ten, thus encouraged me to check this band out, which was the only one I hadn't yet heard on his list. Thank you. If you read this you know who you are. Either way, I love this shit and wanted to get it off my chest and also wanted to add to this blog and not have it slip into the voids of bloggery failure.

Here are a couple highlight tracks off of Adversities from my youtube page which contains the whole album as well as many other tracks from other artists that I couldn't originally find on youtube:





Here's another one off Helgorithms that I found has such a cool sound. Female chant-like vocals over dark, fuzzy, guitar licks that create a beautiful sound in my humble opinion:




Let me know what you think of these guys and like always, let me know if you have more suggestions for me to listen to. Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Checked this band out based on your recommendation. Pretty good stuff, though I really, really liked the track, "Rachana," and the female vocals found within. Do they do anything like that on other songs?
    I did the same thing on my blog this year with Rosetta...I was supposed to give them the best album from last year I didn't hear last year award...completely forgot.
    And finally...
    YOU HUNT?! That's awesome. I don't go much for deer, simply because I don't have the patience, but my high school class ring has my school mascot on one side, and "Duck Hunting" with the picture of a mallard in the air on the other. I used to cut class in the eigth grade to go, and even in college, would sometimes arrive late, in camo, with bloody feathers stuck to my shirt. Didn't make any hunts this year due to moving/life circumstances, but I will be back out in the sloughs next year.
    Anyway, good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, Rachana is the only track I have heard of that nature, and I agree, its a lovely track. The chick plays the keyboards, and I actually don't know if its her vocals or a guest spot. Either way, it's a hauntingly beautiful track. Glad you like it. I haven't spent much time with Rosetta, although I do have their latest album, I will have to go revisit it.

    And yes, I DO HUNT. Haha, not so much lately as I have been busy with the family making ends meet, but I grew up in a small town in the mountains where that just what you do. I imagine there is some good waterfowl hunting in your parts. Not quite so much over here. The big game hunting is prime though. I'm assuming you caught my youtube Wyoming Buck Vids on my youtube page. Haha, I filmed those on my iphone, just in good fun and for some memories. It was a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance you can e-mail me an MP3 of Rachana? Can't find it anywhere except ITunes, and I am unable to load that program. Lame. This band needs more widespread coverage. Can't stop jamming on that song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I can do that. Maybe later tonight. I don't have the files on my work computer. This band rocks man! There is a song or two on the new album that kind of has the Rachana vibe but other than that, it stands alone from the rest of their songs. I think the songs I'm thinking of off the new one is Cellar Sheep and White Fire. Slower pace than the rest. Assuming I will find your email on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, dude! If not, it's
    bleedingstar101@yahoo.com
    Don't ask me how I came up with that. I was young and into science.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This band is awesome, I've had the pleasure of seeing them play many times (I'm from New Zealand) and I can say they are one of the loudest NZ bands around. Don't know if they've released any music yet but the singer Milon Williams plays in another band called Lord of Tigers and previously played in a slightly mellower (almost skate punk) band called Sommerset.

    ReplyDelete